1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (40 votes, average: 3.60 out of 5)
Loading...

Orange Grisette

Edible Edible
Autumn Autumn
Summer Summer

This Amanita rarely seems to have remains of the veil stuck to the cap and the colour intensity varies greatly and can be from bright orange to pale yellow.

Mushroom Type
Common Names Orange Grisette, Saffron Ringless Amanita
Scientific Name Amanita crocea
Season Start Jul
Season End Oct
Average Mushroom height (CM) 14
Average Cap width (CM) 10
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

Starting egg shaped and then opening out to almost flat with a slightly darker umbo and radial striations at the edge of the cap. The colour can vary quite a bit but is usually yellow to orange.

Gills

Off white and quite crowded.

Stem

Pale orange with a snakeskin pattern, tapering towards the top.

Volva

Has a very obvious thick, long and white volval sack that can often be hidden under the surrounding vegetation or earth.

Flesh

Thin and mainly white.

Habitat

Mainly with birch or beech but can be found with some conifers.

Possible Confusion

The Tawny Grisette, Amanita fulva, pictured, can look similar as the crocea can vary quite a lot in colour but the Tawny Grisette has a plain, smooth stem unlike the zig zag patterns on the Orange Grisette.

Spore Print

White, subglobose.

Taste / Smell

Fairly sweet and mushroomy.

Frequency

Fairly common.

COMMENTS

3 comments for Orange Grisette

  1. Roger Kitson says:

    Noticed some of these being enjoyed by squirrels in our local cemetery today (5th. October)
    I wondered how wild animals know what is ok to eat whereas we have to be so very careful and follow published guidance.
    Hope the squirrels don’t have tummy ache tonight!!

    1. Joel Bhatt says:

      I do wonder if it is just a strong instinct honed by millennia of natural selection. Maybe some animals have smell receptors for the toxic compounds too. It is an instinct us humans apparently haven’t evolved!

      I was lucky enough to see these growing under the weeping birch in our garden where I grew up. They always had nibbles on them under that tree.

  2. John Sherry says:

    Nibbled fungi do not really indicate whether they are a poisonous variety or not. The unfortunate mouse/squirrel/deer/etc might well have wandered off afterwards to die in the surrounding woods leaving you to think: ‘it’s been eaten so it must be safe’. I have seen nibble marks in Yellow Stainers but would not advise anyone to continue to eat the rest of the thing (yes, a bit of one got into a stew of mine last year and put me out of normal function for a couple of days). Stay sensible and get stuck into what you can reliably identify. I have enjoyed eating several varieties in the last week or so but have binned a few good-looking mushrooms of indefinite identity.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES