Wild Mushroom Pate
This pate goes really well with a good crusty bread and a foraged salad.
Prep : 20 minutes
Cook : 15 minutes
- Lots of olive oil.
- 1/2 a medium onion
- 1/2 a red onion
- 1/2 celery stick
- 500g / 1lb mixed mushrooms, dried are a good addition as they have a strong flavour
- 2 cups of red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups of mushroom stock or one mushroom stock cube
- 2 good handfuls of hazel nuts, chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the mushrooms with the onions, garlic, celery and nutmeg until all the liquid has evaporated, leave to cool for a while and blend until smooth. Add the chopped hazel nuts before or after blending, depending on the texture you would like the pate to be.
- Cook the lentils bay leaves and celery in the mushroom stock until fairly dry, cool, then remove the bay leaves and blend.
- Caramelise the red onion in a frying pan and leave to cool.
- Mix the two together with the lemon juice and place in a serving dish and top with the caramelised red onion and thyme.
- Chill to stiffen the pate and serve with a good bread and some wild green salad.
- Made with lots of butter instead of olive oil makes this pate very lush but not vegan.