Wild Mushroom Soup
The simplicity of this soup allows you to appreciate the full flavour of the wild mushrooms you’ve gathered. It’s always very popular on our autumn walks.
Serves : 6
Prep : 10 minutes
Cook : 20 minutes
- 350g wild mushrooms (use any sort, with cultivated mushrooms to
make up the weight if necessary)
- 40g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig thyme, plus some extra leaves for garnish
- 1 litre vegetable or mushroom stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Double cream and/or fried sliced mushrooms, to serve
- Clean and chop the wild mushrooms.
- Melt the butter in a large pan set over a low heat. Cook the onion gently for a few minutes without browning, until softened.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and the thyme sprig and cook for a further ten minutes, stirring from time to time, until the mushrooms are softened.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
- Draw the pan off the heat allow to cool a little, before puréeing the soup using a stick blender, or by transferring it to a liquidizer before returning it to the pan.
- Bring the soup back to the boil, then ladle into bowls. Serve with a dollop of cream in the middle, or topped with a few sliced fried mushrooms and a sprinkling of thyme leaves.
Recipe by Wild Food UK; development and photos by Otherwise for Wild Food UK
Just made this with Bay Boletes and it was delicious. Highly recommend.
For the metric minded a medium onion is 150-200g and I used 950ml of water with 2 mushroom stock cubes but recommend using a little less water or reducing the soup for longer to let it thicken up and concentrate the flavour.
This is the second year running that I have made this soup using a variety of wild mushrooms. Today I have collected some horse mushrooms, a prince, a couple of field mushrooms and some lurid boletes. Once made I will freeze what I don’t eat and have the joy of mushroom soup even when the season is over. Everyone who has tried it loves it; highly recommended!
A great recipe! I made with some trooping Funnel and 2 porcelain fungus, totally forgot to add the cream when serving, but still delicious. Will definitely try again.
As simple a recipe as you will find but nevertheless a great soup. Perfect after a hard day foraging.