Puy Lentil and Wild Mushroom Stew
This recipe came from Eric’s late mother, Morna. She always served this comforting, savoury stew with rustic bread and dollops of crème fraîche.
Serves : 4
Prep : 10 minutes
Cook : 25 minutes
- 250g Puy lentils
- 1 litre vegetable or mushroom stock
- 40g butter
- 150g sliced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g wild mushrooms, any sort
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Creme fraiche to serve
- Rinse and drain the lentils, and put them into a large pan with the stock. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for a few minutes before adding the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are softened, then tip the contents of the frying pan into the pot of lentils.
- Add the the bay leaves and thyme and simmer the stew for about thirty minutes, stirring from time to time, until the lentils are tender. Taste for seasoning, and if necessary add a little water to to give a soupy consistency. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche in each bowl.
Kindly donated by Eric’s mother, Morna; photos by Otherwise for Wild Food UK