Mushroom, Butternut Squash and Chestnut Stew
A fantastic Winter warmer and really yummy.
Serves : 6
Prep : 15 minutes
Cook : 40 minutes
- 250g/1/2lb Any wild mushrooms
- 200g/8oz Chestnuts
- 1 Butternut squash
- 1 Medium onion
- 2 Sticks of celery
- 2 Carrots
- Some garlic, wild garlic if possible
- Mushroom or vegatable stock
- A teaspoon of dried oregano
- A small bunch of fresh thyme
- Glass of red wine
- Some water
- Oil for frying
- Olive oil
- Cut the celery and carrot quite finely and fry gently in the olive oil. Slice the onion and garlic and add to the pan, do not allow the onion to brown.
- Chop the butternut squash into chestnut sized chunks and only chop the bigger mushrooms leaving the rest whole. Add to the pan along with the chestnuts, season and stir until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the red wine, stir for a minute or so then add enough water to just cover everything, add the stock and chopped herbs, bring to the boil, cover then allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Let the stew rest for ten minutes then serve drizzling with a good olive oil and lemon juice and serve with some crusty bread.