Yellow Stainer

Poisonous Poisonous
Autumn Autumn
Spring Spring
Summer Summer

Poisonous causing alarming symptoms but not effecting everybody. Don’t take a chance!

Mushroom Type
Common Names Yellow Stainer
Scientific Name Agaricus xanthodermus
Season Start Jul
Season End Nov
Average Mushroom height (CM) 16
Average Cap width (CM) 16
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

Starting rounded this flattens to a shallow convex. White with very small scales. The cap bruises chrome yellow quite quickly.

Gills

Gills white turning pink becoming grey/brown. Crowded.

Stem

White/off-white with a skirt and slightly bulbous base.

Skirt

Can have a pendulous skirt, this one is stained on the top surface by spores.

Flesh

White bruising chrome yellow when cut especially at the base of the stem.

Habitat

Hedgerows, grassland, open woodland and beside roads and paths usually in large groups or rings.

Spore Print

Purple/brown. Ellipsoid to ovoid.

Frequency

Common.

COMMENTS

21 comments for Yellow Stainer

  1. Bob Dutton says:

    Can field and yellow stainer grow in the same ring

    1. Poppy Ives says:

      They can be right beside each other, but not from the same organism.

  2. Eddie says:

    I have what I believe to be yellow strainers growing in my garden.
    How can I get rid of these?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      I’m not sure how to get rid of them permanently, fungicides can damage the ecosystem of your garden. Place them in a bag and put them in your landfill bin to dispose of them.

  3. Only Me says:

    About 20 years ago I bought some of these from a local Garden Centre in Somerset believing them to be anything but Yellow Stainers. I started cooking them in a Risotto and the smell was very early on utterly disgusting! Very worrying how a garden centre can buy something wrongly identified by their wholesale provider.

  4. Patricia Smith says:

    Can I put yellow stainers in with my garden compost?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Yes as the compost should break any toxins down and these will not be transferred to any plants the compost is used on.

  5. Dale says:

    Hi I found what look to be yellow stainers due to the stems slightly yellow at the base when cut, however, I can’t say they smell of ‘ink’ if anything they smell of aniseed ?

    Is this unusual not to have the smell ?

    I note the younger ones gills are white which I understand is another tell tale.

    I won’t be sampling them but was hoping to experience the smell which is always stated as an indicator.

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      If you try cooking any of the toxic Agarics, they turn yellow and the smell becomes very strong. Sometimes it can be hard to pick up the smell when fresh.

  6. Rosa says:

    Mushrooms growing on old remaining tree trunk stump
    They look just like chestnut mushrooms. Are they likely to be edible ?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      I could only mention the edibility of mushrooms if I saw them. Chestnut mushrooms do not grow on wood.

  7. Mushroom Pete says:

    I actually once bought some of these from a Garden Centre 20 years ago or more, as edible. At the time I hadn’t yet heard of these mushrooms and didn’t doubt anything as they were bought from somewhere. 10 minutes after them cooking they smelt dreadful and we threw them straight in the bin. I obviously noticed the huge amount of yellow. I bought myself some good books on mushrooms and have never looked back!

  8. Dave bilberry says:

    Had a close call with these recently. Was unsure weather I had horse mushrooms or yellow stainers as I couldn’t smell any ink when fresh, and no dramatic yellow staining, was quite confused. It was quite a young specimen. But when I put them in the pan they turned bright yellow and smelled like burning rubber. Ruined my fairy ring champignons 🙁 now if I’m unsure, I’ll fry some separately and check for colour / smell.

    1. Laura says:

      ive just done this myself and then checked. I’d never heard of yellow stainers. ive cleaned everything thoroughly that i cooked and chopped it on. will that be ok? not sure what happens to the poison once cooked. (they are now in the bin). quite a learning curve ☺️

  9. Theresa Summers says:

    I think that I have tasted a small bite of one of these mushrooms, what should I do

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Don’t worry, at worst they cause vomiting and diarrhoea for a day but a small bite should cause no symptoms.

  10. Susan says:

    Thank you for all your comments – very helpful. A beautiful crop appeared for the first time, in my front garden around the prunus. Even smelt mushroomy. I pinched the top part and it didn’t go yellow quickly, but did, in part, over a few minutes, enough to ring a little alarm bell. I cooked some and yes, the flesh of some pieces did turn a shade yellow. The smell wasn’t strong, I’d say subtly off-putting. Considering all of your comments, I think I have made an identification that they’re probably yellow stainers and will leave them. I confess I’m disappointed though.

  11. Chris says:

    Thank you SO MUCH for this thread, and for the amazing “Cook test”. I was just about to poison myself with a lovely yellow stainer soup, but one of the mushrooms I cut went yellow, so I thought I’d better investigate further. When I fried the mushrooms they turned bright yellow and did indeed smell a little like burning rubber. Importantly, the raw mushrooms looked, smelled, and tasted (I spat them out after tasting!) like field mushrooms! Lucky escape…

  12. Emma Cave says:

    I am just MAKING PAN OF SOUP WITH MUSHrooms I have just picked in woods! but thought I’d check if they are OK with the yellow stain that apeared when I wiped them with paper towel! Made some last week and my husband said he felt bit “funny”, I was OK!
    Will throw now!

  13. Mike H says:

    In SW Scotland (September) I picked what I thought was a field / horse mushroom from an agricultural pasture. It was white, convex cap maybe 10 – 15 cms with pink gills. I cooked and ate it with breakfast. A few hours later I suffered very severe stomach cramps. Could it have been the Yellow Stainer? Are there any other fungi that looks the same?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      It sounds like you ate a Yellow Stainer as it is the only look-a-like for horse/field mushrooms. They don’t always stain yellow but they should smell of ink, phenol or just unpleasant and chemical like. The colour and smell are usually enhanced by cooking.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES