1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (27 votes, average: 3.56 out of 5)
Loading...

Wood Mushroom

Edible Edible
Autumn Autumn
Spring Spring
Summer Summer

A tasty find but the mushrooms have a very short shelf life and need to be used soon after finding them.

Mushroom Type
Common Names Wood Mushroom
Scientific Name Agaricus silvicola
Season Start Aug
Season End Nov
Average Mushroom height (CM) 8
Average Cap width (CM) 10
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

Off-white/cream bruising ochraceous and becoming yellow with age.

Gills

Gills pale grey/pink at first turning a dark chocolate brown.

Stem

White/off-white with a pendulous ring and slightly bulbous base.

Skirt

Pendulous and the upper surface is usually stained by the spores.

Flesh

White and quite thin.

Habitat

Mixed woodland.

Possible Confusion

Agaricus xanthodermus, the Yellow Stainer looks very alike but bruises chrome yellow when handled or cut and smells of Indian ink or Agaricus pilatianus, a rare mushroom, which stains yellow on cutting and smells similar to the Yellow Stainer. Both do not smell edible.

Spore Print

Purple/brown. Ellipsoid.

Taste / Smell

Smells strongly of aniseed. Taste mushroomy. Should be cooked before consumption.

Frequency

Fairly common.

Other Facts

These mushrooms spoil very quickly and should be used the same day as picking them.

COMMENTS

8 comments for Wood Mushroom

  1. gaynorbutrimas99 says:

    I can’t identify definitely the mushroom I have just found in my garden.
    Is there anyone out there who I can send a picture to?

    1. Poppy Ives says:

      You can send us photos here https://www.wildfooduk.com/contact-us/ or via email to [email protected] and we will take a look for you.

  2. James says:

    If picked when closed will they open up?

    1. Poppy Ives says:

      They can open slighty when picked, but the wood mushroom has a very short shelf life so is best eaten soon after picking.

  3. Natalie Ransford says:

    I sent a photo of a something to your email..Thanks for your insite!

  4. Ruth Watson says:

    ‘We have found a clump of white mushrooms growing under our garden hedge. The gills are grey in a small closed one and pink on the larger ones, they have a large ish skirt, slightly bulbous base of stem. There is a slight hint of yellow after scraping the top of the cap. Are they safe to eat? I think that they smell faintly of mushroom, but I can’t entirely rely on my sense of smell after covid! My husband doesn’t think that they smell unpleasant. Are they likely to be safe to eat?
    Thanks for your help!

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      They sound like Agarics but without seeing them I couldn’t tell you if they are safe or not. If they are Yellow Stainers, the smell and colour are enhanced if you try to cook them.

  5. Peter whiteley says:

    Hundreds of these, around my local woods today. I think the heavy rain, of the past few days is causing a fungi explosion!

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES