1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (64 votes, average: 3.72 out of 5)
Loading...

Field Mushroom

Edible Edible
Autumn Autumn
Spring Spring
Summer Summer

This used to be a very common mushroom but is becoming harder to find due to loss of habitat and chemical sprays used nowadays.

 

 

Mushroom Type
Common Names Field Mushroom, Meadow mushroom
Scientific Name Agaricus campestris
Season Start May
Season End Nov
Average Mushroom height (CM) 8
Average Cap width (CM) 10
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

White, sometimes discoloured grey/brown, can be scaley or smooth. Starting spherical and opening out flat. Can bruise slightly pink. The cuticle often hangs down over the edge of the cap and is a good indicator of a Field Mushroom.

Gills

Gills, starting deep pink and turning to dark brown. Crowded.

Stem

White and smooth above the ring, slightly scaly below, tapering at the base. The ring is delicate and only traces of it can usually be found.

Skirt

Small, slight and not very long lasting.

Flesh

White, bruising slightly pink.

Habitat

Pasture, meadows, lawns, road verges and parks.

Possible Confusion

The Yellow Stainer, Agaricus xanthodermus but this mushroom stains chrome yellow when bruised or cut and smells of Indian ink, hospitals or iodine. Agaricus pilatianus which also stains yellow and smells similar. Both do not smell edible.

Spore Print

Chocolate brown. Ovoid. You should scrape your spores into a small pile to get an accurate spore colour.

Taste / Smell

Mushroomy. Should be cooked before consumption.

Frequency

Common but becoming less so in fields that are sprayed with chemicals.

COMMENTS

31 comments for Field Mushroom

  1. kerry weaver-martin says:

    Very helpful video! These are the only mushrooms I pick as I’m sure what they are and they taste so good. Just picked a lovely crop from my local cow fields….drizzle, warm wind and lots of cow poo have made them very abundant lately. Putting them in a puff pastry tart later, mm!

    North Wales.

  2. Peter littleton says:

    Looked at many of your vids which have helped me i.d mushrooms.thnk you.love to attend a course

  3. soo says:

    Thank you for the video, I am convinced now the field mushroom I picked this morning is edible.

  4. Julie says:

    Thank you, the advice to scratch the cap to see if it turns yellow has probably saved us a trip to A&E today!

  5. Dean Russell Spencer says:

    Hi I’m in birstall Leicestershire by the watermead lakes..I often pick and eat mushrooms….I came across a patch of various size mushrooms at side of lake grass…firm white…some as large as sausers other variations in sizes..they do look edible but can’t workout what they are ?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Hi Dean, you can send photos of the cap, the gills and the stem along with where they were growing and any smells to [email protected] and we’ll try to ID them for you. Please send IDs of one mushroom at a time.

  6. Howard Godolphin says:

    Hi, thank you. Helped me identify the Prince. Have found a small number on a cliff top in Cornwall.

  7. philip says:

    we have in cornwall on one of our fields , no chemicals used meadow field cut short lots of field mushrooms following your vid and pics , they dont stain but when we cooked some small droplets of red come from the gills???? so didnt eat them . or is this normal p.s love the site

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Hi Philip, it isn’t unusual to get little red drops from the gills when cooking Field Mushrooms. If they were toxic Agarics they would turn yellow in the pan and stink out your kitchen with a horrible inky, chemical like smell.

  8. Anne says:

    Was going to eat what I believed to be a field mushroom, double checked here and with a scratch on the cap, saved myself a dreadful time when it turned yellow. The smell reminded me of marzipan.

  9. Haidee says:

    Hi from Lil Ol New Zealand. On lock down so now making ciabatta and mushrooms sauce from fresh picked field mushrooms, that I now know are safe. Thanks for the great video and pictures on how to ID edibles.

  10. Steven Schofield says:

    Picked,cooked, and ate some lovely Field Mushrooms today, I have never known them appear this early.

  11. Jeff says:

    Lots of mushrooms have grown in a field at the back of our new house this week I think they are field mushrooms
    As they look like the ones in the video and smell like shop bought mushrooms
    I will try to get a photo of them

  12. Osman says:

    I have picked one in my back garden in West London. Plenty of different mushrooms and fungi throughout the year. Cooked in white wine, stock garlic and finished with Parmesan. Easy to cook yet splendid in flavour.

  13. David says:

    Great website, I have lots of mushrooms growing in the fields where I live lots are dying off but still lots to pick, I believe that they are Field mushrooms but would like a second opinion, have emailed you some pictures

  14. Fred Heighton says:

    Informative, and very clearly ennunciated. Thank you.

  15. Hill says:

    Picked lovely looking mushrooms in garden today. Sadly although the cap smelt fine when cut white colour of base of stem quickly turned yellow and this part smelt like elastoplast – so did not eat them. Too close a description to yellow-staining mushroom.

  16. Barbara Robinson says:

    Fine crop this year on uncultivated Higher Stewardship”set aside” land despite the local spraying nonsense nearby. Have picked 4 lbs.

  17. Jim says:

    You folks are gems to the world! Thank you!

  18. Paul Young says:

    Anybody know of decent Field Mushroom locations near my home base in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire ? Really struggling at the moment !

  19. Simon Westmacott says:

    I’m fairly sure I have picked horse or field mushrooms having watched the videos: slight yellow bleeding on one but nothing on the other. On the other hand almost no smell at all and my sense of smell is quite good. Other characteristics all tick the box: gill colour, stem, cap 13cm diameter, no ‘pot’ at the stem base. There is just a hint of mushroom smell from a broken stem. With regret, I’m not going to take the risk despite previously having come to no harm from mushrooms in the same field.

  20. Stelios says:

    Today I picked my first of Field Mushrooms and they definitely go in the pan.

  21. Dave.. says:

    The first mushroom I have ever picked… I have been wanting to pick and eat a wild mushroom for years,, I spoted this one in ilkley park while walking my dog, it was quite big I picked it and took it home, still unsure as to eat it or not… I looked on this site and onece I was sure [well as sure as i could be] I cleaned it and cooked a small part to try it….. It tasted like a mushroom so I cooked the rest and it wnt down well…….. This has got my interest in wild mushrooms greater than it was and now looking forward to finding and trying more……..You web site is a great help to me??. Thanks Dave,, west yorkshire..

  22. Kate says:

    We’ve just picked 2kg local to us! Absolutely amazed at the abundance available.

  23. Niki says:

    can I pick fields mushrooms on the fields that dogs are walking?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      They should be fine, just avoid mushrooms that are close to tree trunks, fences or fence posts.

  24. Eugene says:

    I have some mushrooms in my field. Identical in all the characteristics you described — 2.5″ to 3″ cap, pink gills, slight ‘curtain’, a little skirt. To be sure I left it indoors for a day for the gills to turn brown-black which it did and the spore print is black. However, the cap has acquired a *very slight* hint of light yellow in places — almost imperceptible, and the stem when cut across has a faint pastel yellow tinge. Scratching the cap does not give any clear yellow streaks. Smell is fairly neutral — not ‘chemical’, but not strongly ‘mushroomy’ either. So, is this likely to be a field mushroom or a poisonous ‘Yellow Stainer’? My key question really is: Can an edible field mushroom acquire hints of yellow staining when it ages?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Some Agarics can have slightly yellow markings when drying, this is not a problem, the Yellow Stainer bruises bright chrome yellow, but this will fade after 10+ minutes. You are looking for an almost instant colour change with the Yellow Stainer so if your Field Mushrooms didn’t stain bright yellow instantly and they don’t smell of chemicals, you are safe.

  25. sallynewman12 says:

    How do you distinguish these from Agaricus crocodilinus?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      A. crocodilinus is a larger, more robust mushroom and the stem tapers towards both the base and the cap with a larger middle.

  26. DAVID WALLEY says:

    Hi, I just wanted to say how useful this site is.
    I’m 76 and have been picking and eating field mushrooms since I was a child. This year we’ve had a bumper crop from our field in Anglesey which has never been sprayed or treated and is cut for hay every year. I’m guessing the weather has had something to do with it. It certainly is the best crop I can remember with several of the mushrooms approaching 20cms in diameter.
    I’m looking forward to a field mushroom supper – the first this year!

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES