Clouded Agaric

Poisonous Poisonous
Autumn Autumn
Winter Winter

This tasty, common, Autumn mushroom can cause alarming gastric upsets in a number of people so we have placed it in the poisonous section.

Mushroom Type
Common Names Clouded Agaric, Clouded Funnel
Scientific Name Clitocybe nebularis
Season Start Sep
Season End Dec
Average Mushroom height (CM) 12
Average Cap width (CM) 20
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

Starting convex the cap flattens and eventually forms a shallow funnel, it has inrolled edges at all stages. The colour is described as cloudy grey but is often more tan.

Gills

Decurrent (running down the stem), starting white but yellowing with age. Crowded.

Stem

Slightly bulbous at the base, off white and fibrous.

Flesh

Thick, white and quite firm.

Habitat

In rings often under coniferous trees but can also be found in deciduous woodland, grassland and hedgerows.

Possible Confusion

Can look superficially like a Wood Blewit but does not have any of the purple or lilac colouring to the gills.

Spore Print

Cream. Ovoid, ellipsoid.

Taste / Smell

Mushroomy.

Frequency

Common.

Other Facts

This mushroom can make about 1 in 5 people quite ill but is a good edible if you are one of the lucky ones. The only way to find out is to try a small amount of mushroom and wait 24 hours to see if you have an adverse reaction.
Must be cooked before consumption.

COMMENTS

8 comments for Clouded Agaric

  1. Pam Pedersen says:

    Really enjoying the abundance of cloudy agaric. Fortunately we are the lucky ones.

  2. Hugo Paiva says:

    Já comi no ano passado e este ano também, nunca tive nenhum problema

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Oi Hugo, eu posso comer esses cogumelos saborosos. Nós somos os sortudos.

  3. Marcela says:

    We found lots of them today, will try and wait till tomorrow to see how lucky we are

  4. Will Tate says:

    Hi, what kind of reaction are we talking?! I have loads in my local woods but if I have to spend a couple of days running to the toilet to find out if I can eat them then I might leave them be!

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      The reaction is being stuck on the toilet for two days if a meals worth of mushrooms are eaten.

  5. C.A. Toledo-Merritt says:

    I have just found them ? growing on an old stump of a weeping willow, it has spread to other areas.
    I will try some and let you know the réactions if any.

  6. Aditya says:

    Can we grow that mushroom in box ? Please somebody help me

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES