Can be used in the same way as capers and go really well with seafood.
Prep : 3days
Cook : 3weeks
- 100g Unripe Elderberries
- 100ml Water
- 100ml Apple Cider Vinegar (white wine or other vinegars will also work)
- 20g Granulated Sugar
- 20g Sea Salt
- Separate the berries from the stalks and wash them to rid yourself of unwanted or bugs.
- Mix the salt and water in a bowl, when dissolved add the berries.
- Leave covered with a clean tea towel for 3 days. During this time the berries should change colour from bright green to khaki.
- After the 3 days remove from the salt water and put into a sterile jar. If you want the capers to be sweeter rather than very salty give them a quick rinse first.
- Boil the vinegar in a saucepan and add the sugar.
- When the sugar is all dissolved and it has been boiled for only few minutes pour into the jar with the berries. It will be very hot so be careful and use a proper pickling jar. Leave the lid off until cool.
- Leave for 3 weeks and they should be ready to eat.
Pick when bright green.