Common Chickweed Soup
Wholesome, earthy and available all year round, this soup is a real foragers’ favourite.
Serves : 6
Prep : 10 minutes
Cook : 20 minutes
- 3 large bunches of common chickweed (about 200g)
- 40g butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock
- 200ml single cream, plus extra for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon
- Rinse and drain the chickweed. Trim off the bottoms where the stems are coarser.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the shallots gently for about 2 minutes. Add the potato and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for ten minutes, than add the common chickweed. Bring back up to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup, then return to the pan and reheat. As the soup returns to boiling point, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the single cream. Taste and season with salt, pepper and a little lemon juice, before ladling into bowls. Garnish with a swirl of cream and sprigs of chickweed.
Recipe by Wild Food UK; photos and development by Otherwise for Wild Food UK