Blackberry Ripple Frozen Yogurt Bark
In case you missed it, ‘bark’ has been something of a viral sensation in recent months. Raw fruits, nuts and melted chocolate are combined and poured into a tray to form a thin sheet that is cut into slices for eating. This frozen version of ours uses creamy Greek yogurt as its base, marbled with a purée of juicy blackberries, drizzled with melted white chocolate and scattered with whole blackberries and slivers of toasted hazelnut. It’s a frozen treat that is perfect for the warm late summers we seem to be getting nowadays. You could replace the blackberries with wild raspberries, if you’re lucky enough to find some.
- 150g blackberries
- 20g shelled hazelnuts
- 500ml Greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (you could also use honey, agave nectar or our wood avens syrup)
- 50g good-quality white chocolate for cooking
- Pick over the blackberries, rinse them well and leave them to drain.
- Spread the shelled hazelnuts on a baking sheet and put them into a cold oven. Set the temperature to 180˚C and a timer for 15 minutes. When the timer goes off, the nuts should be fragant and golden brown, with their papery skins beginning to fall away. Tip the hot hazelnuts into a clean tea towel and rub them between the folds of the cloth until the skins have flaked off, then leave the nuts to cool. Discard the skins.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and clear enough space in your freezer to accommodate it.
- Put the Greek yogurt into a mixing bowl and stir in the vanilla extract and maple syrup (or wood avens syrup). Reserve 50ml of the yogurt mixture, but pour the rest onto the paper-lined baking sheet. Spread into an even layer about 1cm thick.
- Take a handful of the blackberries and blitz them with a blender until pulverised. Stir the mashed berries into the reserved yogurt. Spoon dollops of this purple yogurt all over the vanilla yogurt on the tray and use a small spoon to swirl the two yogurts together to give a marbled effect.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, then use a spoon to dribble streaks of chocolate all over the surface of the marbled yogurt.
- Scatter the whole blackberries over, pressing them in very lightly. Using a very sharp knife, cut the roasted skinned hazelnuts into thin slivers and scatter them all over the bark.
- Put the tray into the freezer and leave for at least 3 hours, until frozen solid. Serve cut into slices, straight from the freezer.
Recipe and photos by Otherwise for Wild Food UK