With some of our blackberry syrup to hand this dessert is quick and simple to throw together – you could almost say it’s foolproof. The only thing to be careful about is that you don’t overwhip the cream: use a balloon whisk and beat by hand, stopping the moment the cream thickens and form soft peaks. This will ensure the fool doesn’t turn grainy when you fold in the syrup.
- 200ml double cream
- 4 tablespoons blackberry syrup (see recipe)
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 100g blackberries, rinsed and drained
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and whisk until soft, floppy peaks form.
- Scatter with the lemon zest, pour over 2 tablespoons of the blackberry syrup and fold lightly to marble the cream.
- Divide the mixture between 4 sundae glasses, top with the blackberries and drizzle over the remaining syrup.
- Serve with shortbread biscuits.