1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (34 votes, average: 3.79 out of 5)
Loading...

Woodland Inkcap

Inedible Inedible
Autumn Autumn

An ephemeral mushroom that can grow in very large clusters but soon melts to a thick, black, ink like liquid.

Mushroom Type
Common Names Woodland Inkcap (EN), Czernidłak Szorstkozarodnikowy (PL), Erdei Tintagomba (HU)
Scientific Name Coprinellus silvaticus
Synonyms Coprinus silvaticus
Season Start Sep
Season End Nov
Average Mushroom height (CM) 4-6
Average Cap width (CM) 2-3
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

2-3 cm. Grooved and starting a pale buff, becoming orange/brown with a dark area at the peak of the cap. When fully mature this will split and deliquesce (melt) into a black ink like liquid.

Gills

The gills are very crowded and free of the stem. They start white, changing to grey/brown until becoming black and deliquescing.

Stem

4-6 cm long, 0.2-0.4 cm diameter. White and smooth looking but with very close inspection is slightly hairy. It is brittle and can split easily.

Flesh

Thin and fragile.

Habitat

On soil above buried wood.

Possible Confusion

The Glistening Inkcap (Coprinellus micaceus), pictured, looks very similar but has tiny mica crystals ‘glistening’ on the cap and they usually, but not always, grow in smaller groups.

Spore Print

Very dark brown/black. Almond shaped.

Frequency

Not Common.

COMMENTS

4 comments for Woodland Inkcap

  1. Marco says:

    What happens iff you do eat these ?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Probably not very much but you may feel a little unwell. It is possible that drinking alcohol and eating them can cause vomiting but they are best avoided. Look for some tastier, edible mushrooms instead.

  2. Rachael says:

    can anyone advise how to get rid of these please, i have them growing in my garden near two tree stumps, im concerned about my dog getting them

    1. Attila Fodi says:

      Hi Rachel,
      Co-existing with fungi means NO threat at all. Just train your dog to do not eat random things without your permission, and it will be all right. These mushrooms aren’t toxic anyway…

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES