The Grey Knight

Poisonous Poisonous
Autumn Autumn
Summer Summer

A common member of the Knight family, this was once considered to be an edible mushroom but it has now been discovered that eating a certain weight of these mushrooms, even spread out over a fortnight, can cause kidney failure and is now deemed deadly poisonous.

Mushroom Type
Common Names The Grey Knight
Scientific Name Tricholoma terreum
Season Start Aug
Season End Oct
Average Mushroom height (CM) 6
Average Cap width (CM) 6
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.

Cap

Grey/white with small ‘woolly’ fibres radiating from the centre of the cap. Starts conical but will flatten out retaining an umbo.

Gills

White to pale grey, crowded and appear free from the stem but are narrowly joined and sinuate (notched near the stem.

Stem

Smooth and white.

Flesh

White and usually hollow in the stem.

Habitat

Mainly with Scotch Pines but can grow with other coniferous trees.

Possible Confusion

Other grey capped Tricholomas.

Spore Print

White. Ellipsoid.

Frequency

Common and gregarious. 

Other Facts

This mushroom was once listed as edible but chemicals that can harm the kidneys have been found so it is now considered a deadly poisonous fungi.

COMMENTS

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

RELATED WILD FOOD RECIPES

RELATED FORAGING ARTICLES