1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

Spotted Toughshank

Inedible Inedible
Autumn Autumn
Summer Summer

A  late Summer to late Autumn mushroom that lives by decomposing and feeding on leaf litter and other organic matter. Although not poisonous, the Spotted Toughshank is very bitter.

Mushroom Type
Common Names Spotted Toughshank (EN), Coeswydn Fannog (CY), Monetnica Plamista (PL), Foltos Fülőke (HU)
Scientific Name Rhodocollybia maculata
Synonyms Collybia maculata
Season Start Aug
Season End Nov
Average Mushroom height (CM) 10
Average Cap width (CM) 7
Please note that each and every mushroom you come across may vary in appearance to these photos.


White. Starting convex but eventually opening out to flat with the edges upturning. Orange/red/brown spots and patches appear as the mushroom ages.


White to very pale pink, very crowded and free from the stem with brown spots appearing as it ages.


A plain white stem which can be ‘rooting’ and can develop brown spots.


White and firm.


Mainly found with Pine and coniferous trees but can grow with deciduous trees or on heaths.

Possible Confusion

There are several white mushrooms that could be confused with the Spotted Toughshank, the most dangerous of which are the Destroying Angel (Amanita virosa), pictured, or the white variety of the Deathcap (Amanita phalloides var. alba). Although the two mushrooms have skirts, these could be eaten by slugs or damaged by the weather. Be very cautious when identifying mushrooms with white caps, gills and stem.

Spore Print

Off white to pale cream. Ellipsoid.

Taste / Smell





2 comments for Spotted Toughshank

  1. Jamal Abdul Nasir says:

    Hi, if asked in interview, about differentiation between poisonous and edible mushroom, what appropriate answer can we give?

    1. Eric Biggane says:

      Education is the only answer. There are no rules or folklore that will keep you from finding and possibly consuming poisonous mushrooms. Learning about the character of families of mushrooms is a great help in identifying mushrooms, helping you stay away from poisonous varieties. Unless you are 100% sure of your identification, do not consume any mushroom.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *