Giant Hogweed was brought to the UK by Victorian botonists due to its impressive flowers and general size, DEFRA would now like to get rid of it.
|Common Names||Giant Hogweed, Cartwheel Flower, Hogsbane, Giant Cow Parsley, Giant Cow Parsnip|
|Scientific Name||Heracleum mantegazzianum|
Large, shiney and vicious looking with deeply lobed, jagged, sharply serrated leaves. The leaves are hairless unlike common hogweed.
An umbel (like an umberella) of small white flowers up to sixty cm in diametre with many ‘spokes’, from fifty to one hundred and fifty.
It can produce up to 50,000 viable seeds a year which are as large as a penny and as thin as paper.
Very tall, hollow, can be as thick as a wine bottle, often with purple/black markings or even totally purple/black with thick bristly hairs along the stem particularly around the stem where the leaves emerge.
Beside water courses, streams etc. but can be found growing in gardens, allotments, heathland, meadows or waste ground nowhere near water.
When small can look like Common Hogweed,pictured, but the leaves are generally lighter, shinier and more vicious looking. Common hogweed leaves are covered in tiny hairs giving the leaves a matt finish unlike the hairless, shiny Giant Hogweed. If in doubt wait for the plant to show its true size, up to four metres or wait for the flowers which are size of dinner plates or larger.
It has been reported that even smelling this plant can have an effect but I can’t say I’m convinced by this.
Like common Hogweed but far too dangerous to try.
Luckily fairly rare but an average plant can produce up to fifty thousand seeds in one year and these seeds can last in the soil or water for some time without damage so if not dealt with can cover a riverbank in thousands of plants in only a couple of years.
This plant is reported as having a few medicinal uses but is too dangerous to risk the benefits you might gain.
An extremely dangerous plant that while not strictly poisonous has phyto-phototoxic properties which mean that if you get the sap on your skin or even brush against the plant, and your skin is exposed to the sun that patch of skin will have no resistance to UV rays and can end up with serious burns requiring hospital treatment. This is not the end of your problems, the same patch of skin can react to the sun in the same way for up to seven years. If the sap makes contact with your eyes it can cause temporary or even permanent blindness. You have been warned.
Children can be injured by this plant as its hollow stem has been used as a pretend telescope or sword or the smaller stems used as pea shooters with obvious harmful effects.